My passion for painting comes from a deep place inside of me. I believe my paintings are a result of a divine collaboration between myself and my creator. A great privilege and joy. I am attracted to the pastel medium because of the wide range of vibrant pastel sticks to choose from. Once they are applied to a painting they never fade or loose their intense rich color. However, oils will always be a passion and a part of my creativity. I often have an oil and a pastel on easels in my studio as works in progress.
The great masters from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries inspire and teach me. I strive to incorporate strong values in my paintings as was introduced by Caravaggio in the 1500′s. Chiaroscuro has influenced artists like Titan, Rembrandt and many others and still is pursued by artists today. The European and American impressionists instruct me and others about reflective light and how effectively to use color.
I’m drawn to a wide range of subject matter but especially to painting portraits of people and animals. As a gardener and lover of nature, flowers and lush scenery are frequent subjects for paintings. A large part of my business is commissions for portraits and special requests.
When I moved to State College, Pennsylvania in 2000, I began teaching at the Art Alliance in Lemont, PA. Through teaching, I came to see how narrow my focus had become. As a result, my art has grown and expanded beyond what I could have imagined. I experience a sense of fulfillment from teaching while leading and encouraging others to realize their artistic potential and success.
- B.S. Art and Interior Design, Florida State University
- studied pastels for 3 years at the Grenna Studios
- studied oil portraiture for 5 years at the Gosnel Studios
Current Work Experience:
- Currently teaching pastels at the Art Alliance, Lemont, PA
- Workshops at the Art Alliance, Lemont, PA
- Docent at the Penn State Palmer Museum of Art, University Park, PA
- Workshops at the Palmer Museum of Art, University Park, PA
- Private lessons & mentoring
Previous Work Experience:
- Interior Designer at Hendijon’s, Pittsburgh, PA
- Part-time designer at Colorest in Red Bank, NJ
Exhibitions and Representation:
1992: Set design and Painting for Liturgical Play
1994: Duplication of Rembrandt’s “Return of the Prodigal Son” which hung in the Colts Neck, NJ Reformed Church sanctuary, and subsequently St.Paul’s Methodist Church sanctuary in State College, PA
1998: ”Women Excelling in Art”, invitational show
2001: People’s Choice Festival exhibiting and demonstrating
2002: Juried show at the Art Alliance, Second Place award for “Cat Nap”
2004: Solo exhibit at Toftrees Resort and Golf Club State College, PA
2005: Juried show at the Art Alliance
2006: ”Come into my Garden” Centre County Pastel Society show at the Bellefonte, PA Museum
- L. Robert Kimball Pastel Show State College, PA
- Joe & Gil Ward annual members show at the Art Alliance of Central PA
- Central Pennsylvania Pastel Society, “Pastel Perspectives”, Fox Dale Village, State College, PA
- Invitational Solo show at National Penn Galleries in Reading, PA
- Central Pennsylvania Pastel Society show at Gamble Mill Inn Galleries Bellefonte, PA
- ‘Go Figure’ show at Art Alliance of Central PA
- Art Alliance of Central PA “40th Anniversary’ juried show at the HUB-Robeson Gallery at Penn State University, University Park, PA
- Juried show at Art Alliance of Central PA
- Betsy Allen Annual juried show at Schlow Library, State College, PA
My paintings are included in private collections throughout the United States.
Commissions compose a large portion of my business. These commissions have been a great source of satisfaction and pleasure. Many close relationships have developed as a result.